Monday, November 2, 2009

Dividing by Zero, a Reflection

What do I think about the free write? The free write, I thought was a little loaded. Discussing division and zero separate from each other sort of avoids the idea of dividing by zero. I did manage to use some of what I wrote on the free write in my poem but except for a few lines, I managed to keep division by zero out of the picture. In fact, I think that I didn't manage to glean anything I didn't know before about division by zero from the free write. Maybe it's because that I've heard the arguments for why one cannot divide by zero. I think this exercise would work *with* a classroom that doesn't genuinely know why dividing by zero is so taboo.

What do I think about the poem? I think it'd be awesome to use this exercise in a high school class, paired with the free write. I think each student would be able to pull out some sense of why division by zero is not discussed from their own experiences with division and zero. It most likely would be fun and cool all at the same time. As a pedagogical exercise, I think that I didn't take away all that much from it apart from the idea that it could work in a classroom. I feel that I could probably explain this mathematical no-no to a variety of secondary school kids of all levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment