Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Two Most Memorable Teachers in My Life

The first teacher I'd like to talk about is Michael Bennett. I had him as a professor for two courses at UBC and the reason why I found him so memorable is because he knew his subject but he wasn't so encumbered by formal mathematical writing. He would talk about squares of numbers and write them out literally as boxes. I found that quite novel, clever, and amusing. It got the point across. Also, he always knew how to get a student interested in his subject matter by his energy in the classroom. All in all, he made two seemingly difficult subjects enjoyable because of his teaching style.

The second math teacher I would like to talk about is Don Furugori. He was my high school math teacher for grades eleven and twelve. He always seemed to teach the material well enough so that an expected mark would be achieved. What I do remember from taking his classes was that it snows a lot in Ottawa. That really summed up his teaching style: very tangential.

No comments:

Post a Comment