Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Using Research to Analyze, Inform, and Assess Changes in Instruction: A Mini Commentary.

I felt empowered by Robinson’s article. I feel that her article was basically a success story of how one can change the dynamic of the classroom for the better after years of a certain way of teaching. Also, since she’s fairly new to the profession, I can relate to her better in the sense that I most likely will end up the way she ended up during her first four years of teaching simply because it is practical and that I would probably need to gain more experience before I can start experimenting with lesson plans. Ideally, I would like to start out with the kind of lesson plan that she implemented after her research but I won’t really know how that goes until I actually start teaching.

With respect to the topic of research, which she mentioned quite often in her article, I once heard that “if you know what you are doing, then you are not doing research”. I believe that to be true and that her research endeavour was started off as an experiment. She really didn’t know what to expect from changing her teaching style and she does admit that she was quite surprised with her results.
Overall, I think her article was very revealing and touched on very well how a teacher should always be developing his or her practice. Creating an engaging environment like that will create less stress for the teacher in the long run because there is less to worry about and if all works out like she outlined in her article, students are learning. If students are learning, then her job is a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment